Monday 16 January 2012

Clive Barker 'Thief of Always'

I thought I'd share this amazing book; my mum read it to me when I was little, and since then I've read it over ten times - it's my favourite book, and what makes it unique is that it is perfect for all age groups; the quality of the writing and the storyline is amazing. Undoubtedly worth reading.

Here's a brief summary I found on Wikipedia;  Harvey Swick is a 10-year-old kid who finds himself bored with school, uninteresting teachers, homework, and his day-to-day life. One day, a man named Rictus flies up to Harvey's window and tells him about a kid’s paradise, the Holiday House. At the Holiday House, there are all the sweets a person could ask for, four seasons in a day, Christmas every day, Halloween every night, and everything else you could dream of. Harvey reluctantly goes to the house after a week of thinking, and enters the house through a wall of mist. Harvey enjoys the wonders of Holiday House, and stays there for ten days, becoming friends with Wendell and Lulu, two other kids at the house. However, he eventually starts to suspect that the house is not as perfect as it seems. Upon investigation, Harvey discovers that the house's creator, Mr. Hood, has taken all the children who came before him and imprisoned them in a dark, gloomy lake. After that, Harvey and Wendell are trapped in the house, and escape by following a cat named Blue-Cat through the mist barrier that constantly surrounds the property of the house at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment